Friday, September 18, 2009

Willie Peter

Willie Peter

happyhugo

Romance

5,224 Words

Copyright (C) 06/07/09 

Readers score  6.32

Married couple have a bump in their
twenty-year marriage. He is hurt and
blind-sided by what she proposes.


Sometimes life hands you a kick in the ass and at other times it hands you a rose. I got my kick in the ass one Saturday morning at breakfast. Mavis sat across from me fiddling with her cup of coffee. “Wilbur, I want to tell you something.”

I looked up from my paper. I could see that my wife was serious, so I folded it and laid it beside my plate, giving her my full attention. She continued. “You know we have been married for twenty years next month. Mindy is almost nineteen and will be off to college in the fall. You have your circle of friends and I have mine. We have drifted apart these last few years. I haven’t minded but I’ve decided I want more out of life than what we have.

“I have my career in real estate and you are in sales. We both make a good salary. Getting Mindy through four years of schooling isn’t going to be a burden if we split the costs. What I’m leading up to is I think we should divorce and each go our own way.”

“You are saying you don’t love me? Twenty years invested in a fairly happy marriage means nothing?”

“Of course I still have a great amount of affection for you, but it isn’t enough.”

“Is there someone else?”

“Not at present, but there could be. I’m forty and life isn’t exciting anymore. I know you too well to expect we will ever regain the spark that brought us together. You are home only two weeks out of the month. Once a year we go somewhere on vacation and it is the same as it is here at home. Our life is totally blah.”

“Some of what you say is true. You haven’t considered my feelings, though. You still excite me as much as when we were first married. Our chosen careers have kept us from being together as much as I would like. As you say, I’m on the road a lot, and when I’m home you are out most evenings showing property. On vacations you tend to want to shop continually. Is it lack of sex that brought this on?”

“No, I have no complaints about lack of sex. You still are an adequate lover.”

“Shouldn’t we consider counseling before you decide we should separate?”

“What good would that do? We would bare our souls and someone would tell us what to do with our life with information from a textbook. I don’t see that it would do any good. It would cost a lot of money and wouldn’t change a thing. I’d rather pay for a divorce and have it over with. We would still be friends and still be bound together through Mindy.”

Being a salesman like I was, I knew when a sale was lost. I made one more attempt. “Have you told Mindy?”

“I have hinted about it some. So far she hasn’t picked up on it. Would you be the one to tell her without trashing me? You have always been closer to her than I have.”

“Okay, I can do that. I think you are making a mistake, but if you don’t want me anymore, I won’t beg. I still love you Mavis, and I must say this is quite the surprise to me. I had no indication whatsoever. I’ll put together a list of my assets for the settlement. I should have them by Wednesday. You know what law firm I will be using. You can have the divorce papers delivered to them for perusal.”

Mavis sat there staring at me. I picked up my cell and called the Radisson and booked a room, after negotiating for long-term weekly rates. I next called Mindy, who had stayed at a friend’s house last night, asking her to meet me this afternoon at the Radisson.

“You’re rushing this, aren’t you?”

“Maybe, but you wanted a done deal, so I see no sense in dragging it out. You know my feelings and I know yours. Let’s get it over with and move on.” I went upstairs and packed a suitcase. This was easy for I spent half my life in hotel rooms and knew what I needed. As I was leaving I glanced to my side of the bed and saw our wedding picture displayed there. I opened the frame and cut my likeness away from hers. I then put it back together leaving her picture all alone in the frame. What I had taken, I threw in the wastebasket that still contained the tissues from last night’s session of what I thought was love.

Carrying my bags down, I set them by the door and faced Mavis. “I’ll arrange storage for the few things I’ve accumulated. Luckily I have never been into tools or collections. When I was home I wanted to spend my time with you and Mindy. Maybe that is why I’m so close to Mindy. She was often the only one here. You take care Mavis. I hope this move brings you happiness.” I turned toward the door and picked up my bags.

“Willie Peter, aren’t you even going to kiss me goodbye?”

“No. If I did, you might see a grown man cry.” Mavis was standing in the doorway watching me back out into the street. I ignored her and slowly drove away.

The room booked for Wilbur Peter Johnston was ready and I moved in and unpacked my bags, which took all of fifteen minutes. My phone rang. “Dad, Mom just called and she was crying. What did you do to her?”

“Mindy, she asked for something and I gave it to her. If she didn’t give you any of the details, I’m supposed to. Instead of waiting until this afternoon to meet me, I’ll have a table at lunch here in the dining room. I’ll tell you all about it then.” I hung up and laid down on the bed.

I was blind-sided by this. I had no idea! If she was unhappy, why didn’t she say something? What a time for this to happen too. In a month’s time I was coming off the road and would be here in the home office. The promotion I had worked so hard for had come through and I was informed yesterday I was to be the new district manager. I felt to tell her now about my different situation would be begging. I didn’t even know if I wanted to tell Mindy either.

One other little thing. I had a month off before starting my new duties. Mavis would have learned all of this if she had waited until after I had finished my paper this morning. She just started the conversation a few minutes too soon. Well, that’s life I guess. Why did I put off telling her last night while we were lying in bed after making love---or why did I have to read my paper before giving her the good news?

I dozed while thinking back over our life together. Neither one of us were able to go to college, coming from lower middle-class as we did. Everything we both had accomplished came from dedication and hard work. Mavis didn’t have to be out showing property in the evenings anymore, but she still did it. I resented that she left me home alone and I never let on, but maybe she sensed it. I was on the road so I could obtain the manager’s job that came to me yesterday.

Mindy was born just a few days short of the first year’s anniversary of our nuptials. Time and money were really tough at that time, but we worked through it. We were able to afford the necessities, but the luxuries didn’t come until she was in high school and Mavis could give all of her time to the real estate agency. My employment had just been a steady long haul upward.

I got up and stripped. I stood in front of the full-length mirror to assess my looks. My hair was turning just a little gray. I might have two more inches around my middle that I didn’t need, but I stood erect and I had learned to walk with confidence when meeting prospective clients. I knew I could attract women if I put my mind to it. That is why I always kept out of bars while on the road. A lonely salesman was too susceptible to the blandishments of the cougars that prowled the nightspots.

What about Mavis? Did she have someone waiting in the wings. It was a definite possibility. I hated to think that--but? I couldn’t tell, because now I didn’t know her anymore. She certainly was attractive enough. Dammit, life sucks!

*****************

Mindy was waiting for me outside the dining room at lunch time. I smiled and gave her a hug. She started to say something and I asked her to wait until after we had eaten. “Dad, what’s going on?”

“Your Mom asked for a divorce. I’m a salesman and I couldn’t sell her on keeping me, so I cut my losses and moved out. I have a room upstairs.” I was curious. “What did she say?”

“She said you moved out on her. She said you destroyed your wedding picture before leaving. She was crying terribly hard.”

“Look, she wanted a divorce and expected me to remain her friend. I don’t see how that is possible. Mindy, I never saw this coming. I thought we had a good marriage. Maybe it isn’t great, but at least we respected each other. Now for some reason she wants out. I’m not begging to remain. With me, it is all or nothing. Does it hurt? It hurts more than you can imagine. I’ve thought maybe she has another lover, although I can’t imagine it. She said she can find someone else, although she doesn’t have anyone now, but that may just be denial.”

“So what are your plans?”

“Nothing solid. Go on with my life. Accept what life has given me. That means you and almost twenty years of what I thought was a happy marriage. If your Mom thinks she can find another mate, then I think I can too.”

“But Dad, you belong with Mom.”

“I thought I did, but how am I going to get beyond what she said this morning? I love you very much, but I think you should stay out of this. I told her to see my attorney and I would have my, or should I say our, assets listed by Wednesday. I’ll be fair, but I’m not going to give her everything. Your schooling is safe. This year’s tuition is paid and I’ll pay next year if I have to without her help. I should be in a position to do that by then.”

“Can I see your room?”

“Sure, it is the same as the million I have stayed in over the course of the last twenty years. Rooms that I have stayed in waiting to get home to my loving wife and beautiful little daughter.” I couldn’t help it. Tears came to my eyes. I tried to hide them, but I wasn’t too successful. Mindy squeezed my hand as we entered the elevator.

Mindy stayed a couple of hours talking with me about everything except her mother. Finally I shooed her out. I was worn out from the mental upheaval that was taking place even as I conversed with my daughter. I let her know my schedule called for next week in the office and that I was on the road for a week. After that the next two weeks would be a repeat. I didn’t mention that I had a month free for vacation before starting as district manager.

I slept for two hours and then was at a loss to know what to do. Deciding to get started on what information I would need for the divorce, I went to my office and got my laptop. Then I remembered I needed to print out the information, so I stayed and used the office printer. It was getting late for dinner so I picked up and carrying my computer with me, returned to the hotel.

There was a message left at the desk for me from Mavis, asking me to call. I ignored it and went in to dinner. Nine o’clock came and I thought, what-the-hell. I rang my former home. I didn’t greet Mavis. “You asked me to call?”

“Yes I did. I wanted to tell you I’m sorry for hurting you.” I let her expression hang there. Finally she continued, “Willie P, you’re a salesman and so am I. You are supposed to negotiate if things aren’t acceptable with the first offer. Why did you leave so suddenly? You also destroyed our wedding picture. That was mean.”

“Mavis, the way you stated your position, I didn’t see anything to negotiate. Most salesmen would be ecstatic to win on the first round. You won. I admit I destroyed the picture and maybe it was mean, but our marriage is over according to you. I guess a little bit of me hates a little bit of you and I just didn’t want my image to be beside someone I hated even just a little bit.” I let that sink in. “Do you want to be in the house when I get the rest of my belongings out, or do you trust me not to destroy things like I did with our picture?”

“It’s still your home. You can come in anytime whether I’m here or not. I do trust you.”

“Okay, I won’t take time off from work to avoid you. I’ll come over Thursday evening after you see what I have sent to my lawyer. We may have more to discuss at that time.”

“Would you come for dinner? I’ll cook whatever you like. Mindy will be here.”

I hesitated. “No, I don’t think I’d better. I’ll see you Thursday after dinner. Good night.” I hung up before I capitulated and accepted the invitation.

Sleep was a long time coming. Mavis was acting as if this was a game. Torture Willie Peter, being the name of it. Well maybe I should play one of my own.

I had a meeting with my attorney Wednesday morning. Mavis was coming in with her attorney in the afternoon. I wasn’t being officially served, I was accepting the papers to save the cost of her hiring a person to do it. My attorney would hand them to me. I left an item for him to give to her when she appeared. I made a couple of stops Thursday morning and as I left work I wasn’t too terribly surprised to find Mindy waiting by my car.

“Dad, you are an asshole. Mom invited you to dinner tonight. You said no, but you can’t turn me down if I invite you. Now if you want to go change you can, but you are expected for dinner at seven.”

I smiled. “Okay this asshole will be there, just for a daughter who shows no respect for her father. Can you imagine what would have happened if I had called my father an asshole?”

“Yes I can imagine, but you and Gramps are two different people and you would have no reason to call him that.”

I made a stop at the salon in the hotel and had the barber shave me and give me a haircut. He suggested a couple of other little things to enhance my looks when I said I was taking my daughter out to dinner. When finished, I went up and put on my new expensive trousers and the new blazer I had purchased. White shirt or new pale green that I had been induced into buying when I was in the men's store? The green one won. I looked in the mirror. Yes, it definitely worked. I was ready to meet my daughter and my soon-to-be ex-wife for dinner at my former home.

I parked my car on the street, although my spot was empty. When I got out, Mrs. Busybody from next door was waiting for me. “Mr. Johnston, you aren’t living here anymore? And my, don’t you look smart--all tanned up and everything. I didn’t realize you had so much gray hair either. It makes you look so distinguished.” I escaped by saying I had been down south on business, hence the tan. I couldn’t admit that the tan had been applied from a tube less than a short hour before.

I sauntered up to the door. I was going to rub Mavis’s nose in how she was treating me by ringing the bell, but unfortunately Mindy opened the door as I reached it. “Dad, you were going to ring the bell weren’t you? I couldn’t let you do that to Mom. You are still being an asshole and I’m getting pissed with you.”

“You mean you aren’t pissed with your mother for kicking me out after twenty years?”

“Yes, I’m pissed at her too. Come in, dinner is ready.” She whispered, “I love your new look. Some change from two hours ago. I approve. So distinguished. Mom is going to cream her jeans.”

Mavis didn’t have jeans on. I guess she had been shopping, for she had on a little black number that showed off everything I had come to love in the last twenty years. No comments from either of us and then tears came into her eyes. “Willie Peter, you did one of the nicest things for me you have ever done. Thank you so much for the copy of our wedding picture you left at the lawyer’s for me.”

I smiled and to cover my embarrassment I turned to Mindy, “I thought you invited me for dinner. I’m hungry.”

Mindy’s eyes were shining. I don’t think she thought she had an asshole for a father now. She approved of my gesture in seeing to it her mother had her treasured wedding picture back. Dinner was relaxing although I had no idea what was coming after. We would be talking and only heaven knew what would be said.

Mavis had prepared a pork roast and it was delicious. Mindy had prepared the dessert. Little raspberry tarts with vanilla ice cream accompanied the coffee she served. “Mom, Dad, I think you both should start talking to each other. I think you are still in love. Mom, I’m really pissed at what you have done to Dad. I don’t blame him for leaving as he did either. If he left you for good, I would still support him.

“Dad, I think you should try to win Mom back. At least make the effort. Can you do that?”

“But I don’t know what her problem is. Maybe it is something I can’t live with. If she has already been screwing around, she’s gone, or rather, I am.”

Mavis’s face was red which scared the shit out of me. I was really worried now. Mindy saw it too. “Mom?”

“No I haven’t been screwing around on your father. I admit I have been attracted to another person. Someone I work with. But, and this is a big thing and you must believe me, I respect our marriage vows too much to do that before we are divorced.”

“Well thank you a big bunch. I’m so relieved. Geez Mavis, you make me feel so good. At least I can say my wife wasn’t a slut or unfaithful to me while we were still married. Did your attorney tell you how long before you could get screwed? I mean it must be hell lusting after someone, but have your wedding vows get in the way of being satisfied. I guess I’m out of here. Thanks for a wonderful dinner. Mindy, Mavis, I’ll see myself out.”

“Dad!” Mindy screamed. “Stop it. You’re being an asshole again. Mom didn’t leave any divorce papers at your attorney’s. She has made a big mistake and she wants you to forgive her.”

“Well that’s just great. She puts me through hell and I’m just supposed to say okay, you’re forgiven? What do I get out of this? Something besides a lot of pain and doubt about what happened in the past and what will be in the future?”

“May I say something please? Willie, when you walked out the door last Saturday, I knew I had broken something very valuable. I want to fix it, but I don’t know how. To show you how serious I am, this morning I quit my job. Please, please let me put your life and mine back together. What I’m trying to say is that I love you.”

I looked intently at her and I believed her, but God how she had hurt me. “We have had twenty years together and you admitted you had a great affection for me. Last Saturday you trashed the love I had for you. I have never once wavered in my feelings for you. I need more than affection. I did leave suddenly and just as suddenly you regretted your actions in telling me all you had left was affection. Look, next week I’m on the road again. I’ll be back a week from tomorrow. I’ll call when I get back and if things seem to have smoothed out, we can go out to dinner.”

I could tell Mavis wanted more than I was willing to give her. I glanced at Mindy, who seemed to be in agreement with what I had proposed. She spoke. “That sounds fair to me. Mom, take what Dad is giving you and be happy he is still willing to talk to you.”

“Okay, but I wish you would stay here at home with me. I’m so mixed up in my mind all the time now.”

This made me upset. She seemed clear enough in her mind when she said it was best we divorce. Was this an excuse, saying she was mixed up? What if I came home and she changed her mind again? “That is why I think you need time to sort your mind out. You better be sure what you want. I won’t go through anything like this again.”

I stood and prepared to leave. Mindy came and hugged me. She whispered, “Dad, Mom feels so guilty. She really wants you back and things will be better than they ever were before. I just know it.”

Mavis was waiting expectantly for some indication that she had made progress toward reconciliation. I stepped to her and gave her a hug. “Thank you for the wonderful meal. You are very beautiful tonight too. I’m glad I came. I’ll call you next week, I promise.”

I stopped off at the magazine stand and picked up three mags and a bodice ripper novel on the way to my hotel room. I read most of the magazines and started on the novel before I thought I could sleep. Morning came and I was as tired as if I hadn’t been to sleep at all. I inventoried my clothing for what I would need for the coming week. Deciding I needed two shirts and a half dozen pairs of socks I went out to purchase them. Why? Christ, I had drawers full of socks at home and racks of shirts hanging in the closet.

Mavis might be out and I could get them. When I turned the corner to my street, a vehicle I had been following stopped in front of the house. I recognized it as belonging to Mavis’s boss, Brian Simmons. I watched as Mavis opened the front door and he walked in. Ha! What was this all about?

I stopped behind his car and going around the house, I eased open the back door. I could hear voices in the living room. I sat down in the kitchen where I could listen to them. Brian was speaking. “Mavis, you can’t quit. You are one of my most valued employees. You can at least explain why you left without a notice or anything. That’s just not treating me right.”

“I know Brian. You have been a wonderful boss and I really enjoyed working for you. All I can say is that it is personal. Among other things, I’m having trouble with Willie P, and I need to spend all my time trying to correct something I did to him.”

“Why don’t you tell me about it?”

“I can’t. Besides some of it concerns a person in the agency. I wouldn’t want to get her into trouble.”

“How bad is it with Willie Peter? You aren’t getting a divorce are you?”

“I hope not, but if I do it is all my fault. I made a decision to shut him out. He got mad and left, which I see now he had every right to do. The minute he walked out, I knew I had done something that I regretted immediately. I’ve been trying for a week to get him back. He is very hurt and I don’t know if it is working. He did come for dinner last night and he is going to call me next week when he comes off the road.”

“Well you have a problem and I won’t interfere. I do need you back working for me though. You know gossip rarely gets to my desk, but some did before I went home last night. That is because you have a lot of friends. Let me ask you, did Mickey Delano have anything to do with you quitting?”

“Oh God, you know everything.”

“No, I don’t know anything. I do know what Mickey is and she has been warned several times for trying this with different salespersons. I talked to her this morning and she laughed at me admitting that I had the right to fire her. Right now she is cleaning out her desk for I terminated her. So won’t you reconsider and come back to work?”

“I don’t think it will be that simple. I don’t think Willie Peter will let me. I realize that he is the most important person in my life and I need him. I guess more than he needs me. You should have seen him last night. He came to dinner casually dressed, but what a hunk he is. He could walk into any nightspot and have women all over him. I have always trusted him, for he is that kind of man. Now I may have thrown him away.”

I could hear Mavis sobbing and Brian consoling her, “Talk to him. If he loves you, he will listen and help you get over this rough spot. Look, take the rest of the summer off. I’ll let out that you asked for the time off and I agreed, but you would be back the first of September. How are your finances? Any money problems?”

“No, Willie P provides very well. Of course, if he won’t come back to me, I will be in to see you.”

“Okay, let me know how you make out. You really are one of the agency’s treasures. I’ll be looking forward to having you back at your desk in September. I’ll let myself out. Keep the faith.”

I heard Brian walk briskly down the hall and out the door. I sat at the table for a few minutes. I would have to be at my desk soon for sure to get ready for next week’s sales trip. But I knew that Mavis needed some attention. I had to make her aware I was in the house without startling her too. I got up quietly and put a pot of coffee on. Ten minutes later, the scent of fresh coffee wafted into where she was sitting.

I looked at her as she came to investigate. “Hi, I made coffee. Want some?”

Mavis nodded and I poured her a cup. I fixed it with cream and one sweetener, just as she liked it. “Brian, my boss was here. He wants me to return to work. He claims he needs me.” I think she threw this out to see how I would react.

“I know. I heard him ask you.”

“How much did you hear?”

“Pretty much everything. I came in right after he did.”

“You know then that I was attracted to another woman and not a man. A woman, good God what was I thinking. I shudder to think of it. I’m so ashamed and feel so stupid.”

I considered what she was saying. “I’m guessing this Mickey is a lesbian? Did you know?”

“I didn’t know. We had a difficult sale to make and we were put together on it. I was complaining about my home life and she was so sympathetic. It got so she would hug me and when we left the agency for the day and there was no one around, she would kiss me. I thought she was so sweet. The last time you left for your road trip, she bought me flowers. Just to cheer me up she said. I got so I was looking forward to the attention.

“Last Friday she really turned on the charm. When you got home, you were tired and still wanted sex the same as always. You didn’t love me up, before or after. I was awake most all night and made the decision to tell you I didn’t love you enough to stay with you. I made no decision to get together with her. Honest. I told her earlier this week that I had lost you and that is when she started telling me what she and I could do sexually to make up for my loss. Yesterday morning she actually followed me into the restroom and tried to get into my stall. I stayed in there until she went out and then I quit.

“I’m so ashamed for being so stupid. Don’t tell Mindy, please.” I hadn’t said much while she was telling me this. “Willie Peter, talk to me.”

“Well I’m glad you weren’t seduced by a man anyway. You and another woman, that’s a surprise. I can’t imagine it. I can see that I haven’t been as attentive as a man should be to his wife. I think I can change that. I still think we need counseling. Mavis, I really would like to put our life back together.”

“I’ll do anything.”

“There is one thing I have to tell you. I was within five minutes of telling you last Saturday, but you started telling me we should part. Would you like to hear what it is?”

“Is it good news?”

“I think so. For me anyway. You can tell me what you think about it. You are shortly going to be looking at the new manager for this district. I start the first of September. That means I will be home every night and won’t have anymore road trips to go on. That will mean I will have time to romance the woman I love.”

“The answer to my prayers.”

The End

No comments:

Ferris Town Happyhugo Part One    Copy Right 12/17/23 Western, Romance.Historical  77,714 words 7.96 Score Randle Palmer and Sheila Pie...